- Milk, oil and 1/2 cup of sugar in a pan.
- Scald. (Heat until very hot, but do not boil.)
- Leave to cool until warm but not hot.
- You can cheat this part by putting into a bowl and sitting the bowl in cold/ice water. Try not to get any water in the milk. (I don't know what will happen if you do, but let's not do it.)
- Sprinkle in yeast. Wait a minute, let them get acquainted.
- Add 4 cups of flour and stir. It will be a sticky dough, ok?
- Let rise for 15-30 mins
- Now add another half cup to 1 cup of flour.
- You can put the dough in the fridge for a bit, or even over night at this point. It will make it easier to work with for the next bit. You don't have to though, I didn't.
- Flour a smooth, rolling-out-dough kind of surface. Well. Lots of flour or it'll stick!
- Roll out a longish rectangle using half the dough. It should be about 1.5cm thick.
- Pour on some melted butter, cover the surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle lots of sugar on top of this, caster, granulated, South American demarara, whatevs.
- Roll. Start with the side furthest away from you and roll long ways towards yourself.
- Don't let anyone watch you do this, it is very likely you will make a mess and get all buttery...On purpose, like me.
- When its all rolled up and sausagey, pinch along the seam to seal it.
- THEN. Slice into inch thick rolls and lay into buttered pans.
- Do it all again with the other half of the dough.
- Oven. Let prove for about 10-15 mins, put into a cold (not pre-heated) oven at Gas Mark 6 for about 25 mins, they will continue to prove for the first ten and cook for the other 15, get it? Good.
- Icing. (Per pan.) 5 heaped tbsp icing sugar, add a drop of milk at a time until thick but pourable. Add 2 tsp vanilla extract or contents of 1 vanilla pod.
- When they are done they should be golden and risen and your house should smell like Christmas.
- Whilst still warm in the pan drizzle your icing all over in slow motion.
Cinnamon Rolls for Good Boys and Girls
(adapted from The Pioneer Woman)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 packet quick action yeast
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
lots of melted butter
2 more cups sugar
generous sprinkling of ground cinnamon
vanilla (i used 1 pod, but extract is fine too)